Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Brief thoughts on Dollhouse: Epitaph One


The above tweet was my initial reaction to Epitaph One, the unaired, thirteenth episode of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, which it seems everyone on the Internet but me loves.

I'll be posting a (far) more in-depth look at Dollhouse later this week (or possibly next week), but for now here's a comment I posted on the appropriate post over at Whedonesque:
Honestly, I thought it was awful. I don't want to piss in anyone's lemonade, but I hated it so much it made me not want to watch season 2. I've calmed down and decided that I will give season 2 a try after all, but I still didn't like this episode.

I'm not going to go too much into why I hated it. Suffice it to say I thought it was a mess of half-baked ideas that were dropped on us all at once, when a slow build over the course of several seasons would have been so much more satisfying. But I think I understand why Joss did it the way he did. It just wasn't for me. I'm going to write up a longer, more specific review for my own blog later this week.

I'm a little disappointed that I'm one of the very, very few people that feels this way. It makes me feel like I must be crazy. But hey, different people like different things. That's what makes fandom interesting. I'm just glad that Joss is doing work that so many people can enjoy, even if I'm not one of those people.
My upcoming post will discuss not just Epitaph One, but the entire first season of Dollhouse, especially the "season finale," Omega. Whether I'll have anything to say about the unaired pilot, I'm not sure, as I've not seen it yet. Expect that very long post to go up sometime before the end of next week.

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide